Q: WHAT IS THE PUBLIC LIBRARY LEVY ELECTION?
• Voters will be asked to Vote Yes to restore funding for the Kanawha County Public Library (KCPL) system on the November 4, 2014 General Election Day ballot.
• Voting Yes will restore $2.9 million of KCPL annual operation and staffing funds lost after a 2013 ruling by the state Supreme Court.
• Voting Yes will also make levy funds available to libraries in South Charleston ($227,480) and Nitro ($51,000) during the first year. Levy funding will continue for five years.
• The Kanawha County Board of Education is sponsoring the public library levy, but will not receive any of the funds. Levy funds are for library use only.
Q: WHAT DOES THE PUBLIC LIBRARY LEVY FUND?
• Voting Yes will return $2.9 million in annual funds for the ongoing operation and staffing of the KCPL system, which consists of ten libraries and a Mobile Library.
• Voting Yes will help support libraries in South Charleston and Nitro.
• None of the levy funds will go to the construction of new library buildings.
Q: WHY SHOULD I SUPPORT THE LEVY?
• Voting Yes means that for about $1.36 a month, you can help provide everyone in the county with the resources they need for education, enrichment and entertainment.
• Public libraries in Kanawha County have more than 128,000 cardholders, most of whom live in Kanawha County.
• Last year, library patrons checked out and downloaded more than 1.1 million items from all public libraries in Kanawha County.
Q: WILL THE PUBLIC LIBRARY LEVY INCREASE TAXES?
• Yes – For someone who owns a home with an assesed value of $100,000 and a vehicle valued at $15,000, the increase would amount to $1.36 a month or $16.22 per year.
• For around $1.36 a month, you can make a great investment in your community.
Q: HOW MANY PUBLIC LIBRARIES ARE IN KANAWHA COUNTY?
• The KCPL system includes facilities in Charleston, Clendenin, Cross Lanes, Dunbar, Elk Valley, Glasgow, Marmet, a branch in the Riverside High School, St. Albans and Sissonville. The library also operates the Mobile Library (bookmobile).
• There are also public libraries in South Charleston and Nitro.